Every single person in an organization has the opportunity to be a driver of the company culture. Culture has an incredible impact on employee happiness. Growing a culture that fits your employees can produce higher employee productivity, lower attrition rates, and best of all, create an engaging and fun workplace environment.
Don’t wait for someone else to take the reigns. Start small.
Here are a few ways to own your culture:
- Weekly company food competitions – are you in the mood for chips and guacamole? Hold a company/department “Guac off” – best part, everyone brings in the food you love to eat.
- Work with your team to create your Immutable Laws.
- Create a culture book – include all the things that make you and your company unique (as well as exposing all the “weirdness” that is housed within your friends/co-workers).
- Create a mascot – for either the whole company or your team.
- Make t-shirts, stickers, and posters of said mascot.
- Have random dance parties.
- Make fun videos to help explain concepts at meetings.
Remember: often the most important pieces of a company culture are the unplanned events.
How do you embody your company culture?